Got the Christmas decorations put away today...and the house was way too empty. So we started thinking Valentines Day! My OTHER favorite holiday. My Mom always made Valentine's Day really special when I was a kid - it wasn't about "romance," but just an excuse to remind everyone in your life that they're loved. I still love this holiday - especially now that I have kids to make fun Valentine's-inspired crafts with!
Here's what you need:
Carrot peeler or sharp knife
Here's what you do:
1. Take the wrappers off the crayons.
2. Make small crayon shavings. This was a little more difficult than I'd imagined. First we tried a pencil sharpener, but the tips kept breaking off and irritating us. So we tried the carrot peeler - worked great. I also chopped a few crayons into little pieces with the knife. I'd recommend the peeler/knife method - obviously if your kids are doing the peeling, stick with the peeler.
3. Lay a few paper towels onto your ironing board. Make sure they cover a large enough area so if crayon melts out of the sides of your wax paper, it won't get onto the ironing board (learned this one the hard way).
4. Place a sheet of wax paper onto the paper towels.
6. Place a second piece of wax paper onto the crayon-covered one.
7. Place two paper towels on top of the wax paper/crayon sandwich.
8. Iron the paper towel. Won't take long for the crayon shavings to melt. Just check every 10 seconds or so.
9. Let the melted wax/crayons cool for a few minutes, then cut out heart shapes.
10. Punch a hole in the top of each heart, tie a piece of string through it to hang. We made a little display in our kitchen window and it looks very festive!